Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It started on the Corner

Answer the question. No one saw where the cars collided. No one knows who was driving, all we need to know is what time did you enter the corner store.
The note pad is empty. The camera is off. A small grey line of smoke rises from the ashtray. The room has two figures in the corners. My interrogator is by the table and mic.
Just answer the question. Forget the sirens or the three bodies wrapped and carried away.
They wait as I search my memory. They watch my reactions. Then they ask me about Mae. The figure by the table drops a picture of Mae outside the store. I react and know only now what they already know and what they are trying to discover. The tape recorder is switched on.
Just answer the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment