Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Five

The concrete is painted a safety orange. Farm fields surround the building. The light is growing faint. It has become difficult to breath. The front door is open so I walk in past the body propped against the wall. Five figures are lined up in front of what looks to be a counter. Behind the counter there seems to be a grill. There is another figure moving around by the grill seemingly cooking. The five figures in front of the counter are motionless. There is a terrible quiet except for the sound of something sizzling on the grill. I tried to pinch my side to determine what was real. Napkins. Coffee. Cigarette. The five just looked at me. I looked back. The five looked familiar but unrecognizable. The light outside grew fainter until the five were engulfed into a black. Silent.
Then from the back of the room sounded, "orders up. "

No comments:

Post a Comment